Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Writing The Music


Jo coughed and took another pull on his joint . He let the smoke out and started to speak again. “I was driving listening to my mix on the radio when I heard Cecil playing along in the back. At first I thought what the hell is this guy doing?. He must be a nut case . Then as I was about to pull over and kick him out I realize that the sounds he was making fitted perfectly with my own . It was revolutionary man . I pulled over and we began talking . I found out all about his Liverpool days and the drugs and rehab. I told him about my own political past , freedom fighting and all that. We both realized that we had both been through a lot in our lives and that the music had saved us both”

Cecil carried on from where Jo left off . “ We forgot all about what we had to do that night and went straight back to Jo’s house. We stayed up all night talking and telling each other our stories . When the sun came up we both went to sleep . It was amazing to find someone who valued music as much as I did.”

“The next night when we both woke up we immediately started writing songs and trying to put an album together . We were going to be the first to introduce this genre to the south African music scene . It was like an eruption of creativity man . It had never been so easy to create music. It seemed as though the lyrics were writing themselves. We decided to call it Kwaicore , a combination of hardcore punk and Kwaito”.

I just sat there and listened , captured by the passion shown in their eyes . It was inspiring to see such a deep connection between to people . A connection fueled by musical peace . It made me feel like I was apart of something even though I had nothing to do with it. I was just there yet it felt like I was also at the forefront of something huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment