Thursday, 4 April 2013

Meeting Joseph



Cecil and I walked for what seemed like hours . We moved from tent to bar ,back and forth . With every step I took I could feel myself slipping more and more into his world . A world of music and varied interest , interests that I had never known before . I met people with a defensive lust for music , a lust that no track could satisfy . They were in constant search of the next musical high . 
I met a man named Anthony , one of Cecil’s friends. He was about sixty years old and had been traveling all over the world from festival to festival for most of his life. He described himself as a slave to the music and said that if he was to return home , to a normal life it would surely kill him .

We stopped at a make shift bar where outside , a few tree stumps had been placed . I sat and waited for Cecil to return with our drinks. I lit up a cigarette and thought about how happy I was to be a part of that lifestyle , free .
I glanced over my shoulder and saw Cecil chatting with an older man . He was black and had long dreads that ended at his ankles . His wrists were covered in what looked like woven leather bracelets . Although it was dark I could make out that his arms were covered in what can only be described as “geometric  tribal tattoos “ , intricate thin lines that worked their way from his neck all the way down to his fingers .

The man then looked in my direction , turned and tapped Cecil on the shoulder and began his way over to where I was sitting.
I put out my cigarette and watched as he walked over , his dreads swaying from left to right with every step he took. He stood in front of me and asked “hey bru , got a spare gwaai?” I reached into my pocket and pulled out another two cigarettes , one for me and one for him . “that’s man , appreciate it” . He lit his cigarette  , took a deep pull and let the smoke out . “Eish , one day these things are going to kill me” I looked at him and said “well , you know we all gotta die some day”. He scratched his head, chuckled and nodded .

A few moments passed and we just sat in silence . Then suddenly he turned , put out his hand and said “ sorry man , I’m Joseph but my friends call me Jo “ I smiled “howsit man , its good to meet you , I’m James”

For updates on the story of Kwaicore and this blog visit http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kwaicore/173670746118380

No comments:

Post a Comment